Monday 13 September 2010

Mango Beads opening

I've been busy this weekend travelling backwards and forwards to Barnstaple to attend the opening of Mango Beads, the latest lampworking venue in the UK.

What an amazing place!  If you love working with glass and are thinking of taking a course then this is the place for you.  Manda has set up a wonderful teaching/studio space, lovely and light and airy with four torches and lots of inspirational books and magazines. 

I caught up with lots of friends, made new ones, laughed a lot and generally had an absolutely fabulous time!!

Martin from Tuffnell glass was also in attendance and yes, I did succumb to buying yet more glass:)


Demonstrators on the day:
Julie of Lush Lampwork making one of her beautiful seaside heart beads.  You can just make out the lovely bracelet she is wearing with it's starfish and barnacle murrinis.

Judith encasing her floral bead
 I stood in awe of Judith Johnston's patience whilst making an encased flower bead.  I lost count of the number of layers of dots she added.  I did learn a lot though!


I would like to say a big thank you to Manda and the rest of the FH team for making me so welcome and a special thanks to Kay who took the time out to explain a couple of techniques which I'd been struggling with recently.  Good luck with your new venture Manda, I hope it is a big success!

So what's coming up in September? Well.... I've decided to make some beads inspired by what I saw over the weekend, enter the Beads and Beyond Magazine lampwork bead competition and attend the GBUK AGM and bead show in two weeks time.  After that I shall start teaching again and then it will be the dreaded C word............

Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment